Happy Makers Monday!
When it comes to making gifts for people, I like making hats. There are a lot of hat patterns out there, but these are some of my favorite ones because they are unique.
Here are 6 easy crochet hat patterns that are great to make for friends and family:
1. VIP Visor Cap (Red Heart) A cap that has a little visor. Good for guys. Easy to make. Yarn needed: bulky weight.
2. Caron Zig Zag Hat (Yarnspirations) Cute and colorful hat with a zig zag pattern and a pom pom on the top. Yarn needed: worsted weight.
Here is a modified zig zag hat that I made. I used dc instead of hdc on some part of the hat. I used worsted weight yarn, and it looks pretty good.
3.Senior Crochet Hat (Lion Brand)* Comfy hat with ear flaps. Yarn needed: bulky weight.
4. Caron Cable Twist Hat (Yarnspirations) Crocheted cable look. Great way to learn how to do cables. Yarn needed: worsted weight.
For this nice Cable Twist Hat, I used a worsted weight yarn. It is a little too bulky in my opinion so I’m going to try making this again using a lighter worsted weight yarn.
5. Freshman Crocheted Hat (Lion Brand)* Simple yet classic look of a slouchy beanie. Yarn needed: bulky weight.
6. Winter Blast Hat (Red Heart) Great for anyone. Unique textured look with knowing only sc and hdc. Great for variegated yarn. Yarn needed: worsted weight.
See what I mean when I say gorgeous?! It’s so cute. This pattern is easy to make but it makes sophisticated-looking hat. For this one, I used a heavy worsted weight for the yellow flecks one and worsted for the other two. I like using the worsted weight yarn for this pattern. Either way, the hat looks fabulous.
Some advice on making hats…
If you make any of the hats above, remember to gauge. The average circumference of an adult head is 55cm for female and 57cm for male. Another thing to keep in mind is the materials of the hat. If you are gifting it to someone who seeks comfort, warmth, and can manage a small batch of hand-wash accessories, go for wool blend or alpaca blend. For someone who seeks the convenience of washing the hat with other things in the washing machine, go for acrylic. There are some soft acrylic yarn out there so you don’t need to sacrifice comfort for convenience.
*To access patterns on Lion Brand website, you have to create a free login account.
Time to get crafty and stock up on those gifts. Do you have some favorite hat patterns? Share with me by commenting below, Facebook: SheepUpCrafts, or tag me on Instagram: SheepUpCraft with #makersmonday